Friday, July 10, 2015

If a tree falls...?

I am currently traveling in Virginia. Our son is having several dead trees on his property removed and while my son and my husband are off playing golf,  I am watching the guys who are cutting the trees down. One guy had angel wings on the t-shirt he was wearing and that made me a bit nervous. (I wasn't sure if he was hoping to go to heaven soon!). As I watched the trees fall (and made sure they weren't falling on the "lumberjacks"), the philosophical question about "trees" popped into my mind. I definitely heard the trees as they fell. And it made me think about coaching.

If you never try coaching, how will you ever know if it works?

According to the work of philosopher George Berkeley in 1710, "the objects of sense exist only when they are perceived". Although Mr. Berkeley never actually wrote about the tree question, several years later a similar question was posed in The Chatauquan in June 1883, "If a tree where to fall on an island where there were no human beings would the be any sound?". All this is based on Wikipedia so I decided to see what they have to say about "coaching".

Or better yet, how does the International Coaching Federation (ICF) define "coaching"? Their definition is "...partnering with clients in a thought-provoking and creative process that inspires them to maximize their personal and professional potential...".

To encourage you to use a coach, I am providing a simple curriculum on my website as a free sample of coaching principles. Currently I have only posted two of the 4 or 5 lessons (since I haven't finished, I am not sure how many lessons there will actually be). The lessons are particularly designed to help churches and church ministry teams. The principles can be applied to any goal setting situations and opportunities.

Check out the downloads at www.moreteamspirit.com. Together everybody accomplishes more. Let me know what you liked best.



No comments:

Post a Comment